ANTARTIC EXPLORER – CRUISE FROM USHUAIA – 11 DAYSfrom
Discovering the 7th Continent
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday TypeAdventure, Antarctica, cruises, Glaciers, Hiking, Ice Trekking, Luxury, National Park, Navigation, Quiet, Seaside, Trekking, Wild Life
- Activity Level Challenging
Antarctica offers so many extraordinary things to see and do.
Conquer the famed Drake Passage in your choice of four stabilized, polar-class vessels; explore majestic natural environments by zodiac and on foot; get up close and personal with penguins, whales, and other wildlife; and enjoy talks on history, biology, and glaciology by onboard polar experts.
You can personalize your adventure with options that suit your interests, and cross the 7th Continent off the list—your way.
Antarctica has been inspiring explorers for centuries and our expeditions offer the chance for you to discover why. We’re excited to host you on your unforgettable adventure! Feel free to reach out to our team of Polar Travel Advisers who can answer your questions and provide assistance at any time.
Zodiacs are the workhorses of polar expeditions, taking you to places the ships can’t access, allowing you to reach remote shorelines, explore shallow inlets and search for unique wildlife. Expedition staff makes stepping in and out of the safe and comfortable, and your Zodiac drivers will provide active interpretation, making the landscape come even more alive.
Hiking in Antarctica is free-form and supervised by our expert staff, who set out a perimeter or paths at each landing site within which you are free to explore. While you hike, staff will be available to enhance your experience by answering questions about the wildlife, history, and geography of the area. Walking poles are provided at each landing for your convenience. As there are a limited number of poles available, please bring your own if you require them on every landing. Some landing sites will offer more demanding terrain options than others.
Enjoy daily chats with and presentations by our world-class onboard polar experts—guides, scientists, naturalists, historians, and other special guests who will introduce you to the fascinating history, biology, ornithology, and glaciology of the region, and much,
This rite of passage, scheduled only once per expedition, gives you the chance to jump safely into the bracing Antarctic waters under the watchful eye of our staff—and just about every single camera on board!
Documenting your voyage so you can take the memories home is a rewarding experience. Our photography guides will help you hone your skills to capture the beauty of the polar regions.
• Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leaders, including shore landings and other activities
• All Zodiac transfers and cruising as per the daily program
• All shore landings as per the daily program
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
• All meals, snacks, soft drinks, and juices on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
• Select beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea, and cocoa available around the clock
• Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
• A photographic journal documenting the expedition
• A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions
• An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
• Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
• All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
• All luggage handling aboard the ship
• Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person
• Group arrival transfer in Ushuaia from airport to the pre-expedition hotel on Day 1
• One night’s pre-expedition hotel accommodation in Ushuaia with breakfast (Note: The number of guests per room is the same as cabin occupancy on the ship. Due to limited availability, travelers who reserve a suite onboard are accommodated in standard rooms at the hotel. Triple rooms may not be available.)
• Group transfer from the hotel to ship on embarkation day
• Group departure transfer upon disembarkation in Ushuaia from ship to the local airport or to a luggage storage facility
• International airfare
• Passport and applicable visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned
• Meals unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption, and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac landing and cruising excursions, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, spa services, and other personal charges, unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for expedition staff and shipboard crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Arrival and departure transfers, except where explicitly stated
• Adventure Options not listed in Included Activities
- Day 1 Ushuaia
You will begin your journey in Ushuaia, a small but bustling port town at the tip of South America. This Argentine town is an ideal gateway for you to explore the southern extent of Patagonia while preparing for your adventure ahead. Get active in the mountains or enjoy handcrafted chocolate at a café in town.
- Day 2 Embarkation
Embarkation will occur in the late afternoon, after which your vessel will sail down the historic Beagle Channel, which transects the Tierra del Fuego archipelago in the extreme south of South America. Expect an air of anticipation as you depart—the next time you see land, you’ll be in the world’s most southern continent!
- Day 3 & 4 CROSSING THE DRAKE PASSAGE
Your days at sea are filled with presentations led by your Expedition Team who will prepare you for the wildlife, glaciology, and history that will greet you upon your arrival. In between presentations, spend time on deck looking for wildlife or chatting with your shipmates over a drink at the bar.
- Day 5 to 8 SOUTH SHETLAND ISLANDS & ANTARCTIC PENINSULA
The most common reaction upon reaching the White Continent is a sense of reverence and awe. The experience is beyond words since few places are as untouched and enduring as Antarctica. You will begin to appreciate why this region has long captivated the attention of explorers and travelers alike. Every time we visit Antarctica, we witness something new or unexpected, which means that your expedition will be unlike any other—creating a unique, personal experience.
Each day, you will take Zodiac excursions from the ship to explore local bays, channels, and landing sites. Your Expedition Team will take care of you at each landing, whether you are hiking the Antarctic landscape, visiting a research station, or consorting with chinstrap, Adélie, and gentoo penguins, all of which can be found here.
Keep an eye out for Weddell, fur, crabeater, and leopard seals as well as curious whales, such as humpbacks, minkes, or perhaps orcas while on a Zodiac cruise. Each excursion will present a new collection of creatures to delight you and keep your camera busy.
Amid the serene silence of Antarctica, noisy interludes become indelible memories, such as penguins squabbling over prized pebbles, or the boom and crack of a calving glacier. Every day will be different, having been carefully crafted by your Expedition Team to inspire and educate you about this wonderful part of the world.
- Day 9 & 10 CROSSING THE DRAKE PASSAGE
The journey back across the Drake Passage provides final opportunities to enjoy the crisp Antarctic air
Spend time on the deck, watching for seabirds and scouting for whales, enjoy presentations by your Expedition Team and celebrate the experiences shared exploring Antarctica.
- Day 11 DISEMBARK IN USHUAIA
You will arrive in Ushuaia in the morning, which allows for you to continue your adventure onward or catch your flights home.