EL CHALTEN: LAGO DEL DESIERTO NAVIGATION – FULL DAYfrom
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday TypeAdventure, Bird Watching, Budget, Camping, Charming, Classic, Climbing, Family-friendly, Forest, Hiking, Lake, Mountain, Navigation, Quiet, Romantic, Rural, Seaside, Sport Fishing, Trekking, Trendy
- Activity Level Leisurely
- Group Size Medium Group
Length: 8/9 Hs
Grade of Difficulty: Easy
Experience Required: No experience in trekking required
Season: OCTOBER / APRIL
The group will leave El Chaltén at approximately 9 am and take the mountain gravel road (RP 23) northbound for 40 km. While driving along road we will pass through spectacular landscapes such as the valley of Río de Las Vueltas, framed by the Cordón de Los Cóndores.
Shortly after we will begin to enjoy the amazing view of the glaciers such as Eléctrico, Piedras Blancas, and Cagliero. We can also see the Marconi glacier, the gateway to the Southern Continental Ice Field. As we move forward through the dense forest, we will cross many streams that turn into rivers and that run under historical bridges. We will also make a stop at the beautiful Cóndor Lake to do some bird watching.
Other waterfalls along the way will invite us to stop: The first being El Salto del Anillo, for a souvenir photo. The next is Salto Argentino where torrent ducks can be observed. We also have an option to stop at a landmark that tells the history of the area. Arriving at Lago del Desierto, we will prepare to go up to the Huemul Glacier and lagoon and marvel at the forest and flora in the area, as well as get a chance to view a hanging glacier. (a walk of 4 Km, that takes 2 hours, with an elevation of 220 m).
At the lake we will head down to the viewpoints and prepare a “Picada Argentina” and enjoy a nice lunch accompanied by good wine.
Then we will board the boat and sail to the North End of Lago del Desierto while we admire the beautiful lake surrounded by the Andes mountain range, the main protagonist being Mount Vespignani.
From the North End we will enjoy a unique view of the north face of Mount Fitz Roy in the distance. We will return to the South End and then disembark after a short walk, arriving back at El Chaltén at about 17hs.
* Sailing is subject to the service provider. In the case that the service is not running, it will be compensated by a coastal trek along the lake.
- Trekking Guide.
- Transport there and back.
- Lunch (A complete “picada Argentina”).
- Drinks: Mineral water, sodas, and alcoholic beverages.
- Afternoon Tea: Coffee, tea, mate with cookies and sweet snacks.
- Entrance fees to private property.
- Sailing (*).
- Binoculars, trekking poles, magnifying glasses, maps, flora and fauna guides.
- Transport: According to the size of the group, the vehicle can be a minibus or Walk Patagonia´s own 4×4 car in a PRIVATE service.
- Activities: Stops for panoramic photographs (Lakes, waterfalls, historic landmarks, etc.)- Bird watching at Cóndor Lagoon – A tour of the viewpoints at Lago del Desierto – Trekking and Huemul lake – Sailing on Lago del Desierto (*) or a coastal walk by the lake.
- Services not specified in the programme.